If you love mashed potatoes but hate the starchy carbs, try this scrumptious low-carb alternative made from cauliflower with a dash of coconut oil, giving this recipe a rich flavour.
I happen to come across a gorgeous purple cauliflower at the grocery store the other day, fell in love and brought it home! Instead of roasting the cauliflower or throwing it into a stir-fry, I decided to make mashed cauliflower. I has always heard about mashed cauliflower as a great substitute for mashed potatoes and was curious to try it out. The results were better than I expected. Although I made the cauliflower as a side dish, I gobbled up most it in one sitting for dinner. At least it wasn’t mashed potatoes!
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- (optional) 1/2 cup of cheddar or parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
2. Reduce heat to medium and cover for 10 minutes
3. Remove cover and simmer on low-medium hear until half the liquid is left. Cauliflower should be soft by now, easily mashable
4. Remove from heat and mash with potato masher or blend in food processor until cauliflower is smooth
4. Add coconut oil and cheese (optional)
5. Season with salt and pepper (can also a add a dash of cayenne if you like the spice!)
Serve and enjoy!
Do you have any low-carb recipes you love? Share them! This one is definitely going into my regular recipe rotation!