Nothing is more comforting and soothing than a warm bowl of hearty autumn squash soup. My Hearty Coconut Squash Soup (aka coco-butter soup) is a filling and nutritious meal-in-a-bowl.
Did you know that a cup of butternut squash contains almost 280% of your daily intake of Vitamin A? And 48% of your vitamin C? Not to mention tons of fibre, potassium, manganese, vitamin K, magnesium and folate. Holy nutritional profile Batman! Coconut milk adds a nice creaminess to this soup, while keeping it vegan, and providing tons of nutrients such as iron, manganese, magnesium, copper, selenium and zinc. Coconut milk also contain lauric acid which helps lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and raises good cholesterol (HDL). When lauric acid enters our bodies it is converted into monolaurin, which is compound with antiviral and antibacterial properties. This is why in many eastern traditions, coconut milk is used in combination with turmeric to fight off infections. Try warm coconut milk with 1 tsp of turmeric and some honey the next time you feel under the weather!
Now on to the recipe! This soup has very few basic ingredients and is a cinch to make. You can keep in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze it for those cold winter nights.
Serving: 8 generous bowls of goodness
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 large carrots
- 1 onion
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- Handful of cilantro
- 1 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp crushed black pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg or cinnamon
- ¼ tsp cardamom
1. In a large pot, heat up butter or coconut oil on medium to medium high heat and add chopped garlic and onion. Cook until onion is golden brown
2. Add vegetable broth, roughly chopped carrots and squash. Bring to a boil.
3. Turn down to medium heat and stir in the coconut milk, sea salt, black pepper, nutmeg or cinnamon and cardamom. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
4. Blend the soup with a hand mixer or blender (a blender will make a finer, more consistent puree).
5. Pour into bowls and add finely chopped cilantro or sage. Enjoy!